Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lephin, Mull

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lephin, Mull

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Port Chill Bhraonain

Canmore ID 22085

Site Number NM45NW 9

NGR NM 4457 5716

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22085

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilninian And Kilmore
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM45NW 9 4457 5716.

(NM 4457 5716) Burial Ground (NAT)

OS 1:10000 map (1976)

The name Port Chill Bhraonain (at NM 446 578) probably comes from Kilbrenan, indicating a chapel dedicated to St Brendan in the vicinity.

T Hannan 1926

There is no local knowledge of any religious site in the area other than that of the burial ground at Lephin (NM 4457 5718) which consists of the fragmentary remains of an earth-and-stone bank enclosing a slightly raised area measuring 28m from E to W by 21m transversely. Within this enclosure are the turf-covered foundations of two buildings. The larger of these measures 8.5m from E to W. by 4.6m transversely within walls some 0.9m in thickness. The entrance is in the N. This building possibly represents a chapel. The other building, which has rounded angles, is situated some 2.0 m to the W and at right angles to the former.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (DWR) 15 May 1972

'Burial-ground', Lephin (Site): The remains here are as described above. Although identified on OS 6" 1875 as a burial-ground (there is no authority for this name in the relevant ONB), the remains appear to be those of a dwelling-house and outbuilding with their associated cultivation-patch.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1972

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions