Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lephin, Mull

Corn Drying Kiln (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lephin, Mull

Classification Corn Drying Kiln (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 22072

Site Number NM45NW 12

NGR NM 448 571

NGR Description Centred on NM 448 571

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22072

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilninian And Kilmore
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM45NW 12 centred on 448 571

NM 447 572. Lephin. The site of a small hamlet now in ruins, about 1/2 mile E of Glengorm Castle.

Name Book 1878

At NM 4482 5718 is a corn-drying kiln, similar to that at Corrachadh (NM63NW 1). Partial excavation supervised by the keeper of Tobermory Museum revealed signs of firing at the mouth of the flue and some pieces of broken pottery.

R Douglass 1988; NMRS MS/534/1

Nine unroofed buildings, one of which has two compartments, and four enclosures are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire, Island of Mull 1881, sheet xxxviii). Three unroofed, one roofed building and five enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 5 June 1998

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions