Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Rum, Harris, Bullough Mausoleum

Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Rum, Harris, Bullough Mausoleum

Classification Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Rhum; Kinloch Estate

Canmore ID 21945

Site Number NM39NW 60

NGR NM 33629 95653

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21945

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Small Isles
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Bullough Mausoleum, c.1900, an enormous Doric temple of polished sandstone containing three large sarcophagi - an echo of classical Greece standing in splendid isolation against the sublime backdrop of the Cuillin; also, a monument to the inflated ego of the Bulloughs.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NM39NW 60 33629 95653

For (associated) Kinloch Castle (NM 4015 9953), see NM49NW 12.00.

Mausoleum built by Sir George Bullough. The original family vault can be seen to the NW, partially demolished by the family after it was likened to a gents lavatory.

Information from RCAHMS (KM) 1 November 1996.

Architecture Notes

Built by Sir George Bullough

Activities

Aerial Photography (6 March 2005)

Photographed by J S Bone, 6 March 2005.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions