Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The Craggan, Free Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name The Craggan, Free Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kirk O' Craggan

Canmore ID 219218

Site Number NJ13SE 37

NGR NJ 1885 3242

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Inveravon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Following the Disruption of 1843, a new church was built for the Free Church of Scotland congregation at The Craggan, a site overlooking the east bank of the River Avon, about 250m north of Craggan farmhouse.

Prior to the construction of their church in 1844, the congregation met outdoors at a site known as the Moderator's Seat, about 460m south of the church. Few details are recorded about the church, which remained in use until 1929 when what had become the United Free Church returned to the Church of Scotland. After this date, the church was closed and then demolished in some time later.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Architecture Notes

NJ13SE 37.00 1885 3242

NJ13SE 37.01 18838 32388 Manse

NJ13SE 37.02 18853 32403 Former Steading

The former Free Church of Craggan was built following the Disruption of 1843. Prior to its construction the congregation met at an open air site, the Moderator's Seat, 460m to the SSW (see NJ13SE 38). Following the reunification of the United Free Church with the Church of Scotland in 1929, the congregations united with that of Achbreck. The church of Craggan closed and was later demolished.

Information from Miss G M L Fairbairn and from Mr D J Farquhar, Moray Council, February and March 2002.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions