Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rum, Salisbury's Dam

Building (Period Unassigned), Dam (19th Century), Lade (19th Century)

Site Name Rum, Salisbury's Dam

Classification Building (Period Unassigned), Dam (19th Century), Lade (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Rhum

Canmore ID 21880

Site Number NM39NE 27

NGR NM 36421 99896

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21880

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Small Isles
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Activities

Field Visit (June 1983)

NM39NE 27 3635 9992

This massive structure was built in the late 1840's to divert the head waters of the Kilmory River through a rock-cut lade into the Kinloch River, but was breached at the NW end a few days after the reservoir was filled. The curving dam is formed by two battered drystone walls enclosing an earth core and measures 10.5m in thickness at the base about 5.8m in height. Its original length was about 60m of which 45m survive. The lade (NM 364 999 to NG 367 000) measures about 300m in length and includes a rock-cut section up to 7m wide and 4m deep. The footings of a rectangular building (9.2m by 3m internally) are situated on the S side of the lade 190m ENE of the dam.

RCAHMS 1983, visited June 1983.

Reference (1995)

Two contemporary stone buttresses are bonded into the front of the dam. Upstream from the building are the remains of a bridge which once formed access across the channel.

NMRS MS/868/1

Note (5 December 1996)

An unroofed building of two compartments is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire, Islands of Rum, Sanday etc., 1879, sheet lx), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 5 December 1996

Field Visit (August 2011)

This large dam, which remains as described in 1983, was designed to divert water from the Kilmory River, which flows north from the dammed Loch Long (see NM39NE 38), into a tributary of the Kinloch River some 480m away (at NG 3680 0027) via an artificial cut at its eastern end. The purpose of this dam was to provide a means of access for salmon from the Kinloch River to the loch, improving both the river and the loch for fishing. Its construction was part of a second phase of works undertaken c1854, the first involving the damming of the Long Loch and the insertion of a cut to take its waters to Kilmory, and the third involving the construction of an dam and aqueduct to carry that outflow into Kinloch River. Half-way along the cut is a second, smaller dam (NG30SE 56) which is described elsewhere.

Visited by RCAHMS (GFG) August 2011.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions