Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull, Catchean

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Mull, Catchean

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 21776

Site Number NM32SW 5

NGR NM 30 23

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21776

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilfinichen And Kilvickeon
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM32SW 5 30 23.

A large and fine sanding stone, which stood above the ancient ferry to Iona, was called "An Caitcheannach Mor" - "the great stone of the common", the neighbouring land being called "The Common" (Catchean -

NM 30 23). It was destroyed in 1863 through a great granite block falling on it from quarrying operations in the neighbourhood. Traditionally it, and other members of a series of standing stones, marked the route taken by pilgrims going across Mull to Iona from Grass Point.

T Maclauchlan 1865.

Standing stone - Catchean.

Argyll County Council 1914.

There is no trace of this stone. It may have been the last marker stone on the pilgrim route to Iona.

Visited by OS (DWR) 5 June 1972.

There is no trace of this standing stone; its exact location has not been recorded.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1973.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions