Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tiree, Kirkapol Burial Ground, Cladh Kirkapol

Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Tiree, Kirkapol Burial Ground, Cladh Kirkapol

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Kirkapoll

Canmore ID 21532

Site Number NM04NW 9

NGR NM 0432 4723

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21532

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Tiree
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM04NW 9 0432 4723.

(NM 0432 4723) Cladh Kirkapoll (NAT)

OS 6"map, Argyllshire, 1st ed., (1882)

Though this site is named 'Cladh Kirkapoll' on the OS map, Beveridge (E Beveridge 1903) maintains that this, and not NM04NW 28, is Cladh Orain, or Odrain (W J Watson 1926).

It is still in regular use as a burial ground and a few years before 1903 a grave-digger encountered what appeared to be the foundations of a chapel, probably dedicated to Oran, Odran or Odhran, Columba's kinsman and follower, who died and was buried on Iona during Columba's life-time.

Aerial photographs show what might be the original enclosure within what is obviously a modern wall (Visible on RAF air photographs 106G.Scot.UK34: 3343-4 : flown 27 April 1946). Part of the shaft and one arm of a cross with perforation is in use as a headstone. Cross fragments figured by Stuart (J Stuart 1867) are now Inveraray Castle.

A rough granite slab bearing two incised crosses end to end, of early type, lies a few yards E of the SE corner of the cemetery and by the side of a field dyke. One is a Latin cross 12ins long by 8ins wide with expanded ends. The other measures 12ins by 13ins, its shaft and cross terminating in extravagantly long cross-pieces.

Beveridge (E Beveridge 1903) gives Cladh Mor as an alternative name for the graveyard.

E Beveridge 1903; W J Watson 1926; J Stuart 1867; E R Cregeen 1958.

An accurate siting for the chapel could not be ascertained and the extent of the original graveyard could not be traced. No conclusive evidence could be found applying the name 'Cladh Orain' to this burial ground, which is still in use. The crosses could not be found.

Visited by OS (R D) 23 June 1972.

The RCAHMS also identify this burial ground as 'Cladh Odhrain' or 'Cladh Mor', and, following Beveridge (E Beveridge 1903), note that the foundations of 'a building' were found in it. They also describe one 14th - early 16th century grave-slab, illustrated by Beveridge, who stated that it was in this burial-ground, though they could not trace it. A number of other slabs of similar date are also described, though they may have come from the burial ground noted on NM04NW 28. They also were not located, though rubbings of them are preserved at Inveraray Castle. Two 17th - 18th century table-tombs, and a headstone dated 1746, all within this burial-ground are also described.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1973; W Reeves 1854.

Architecture Notes

Tiree, Kirkapol Burial Ground.

See also 'Inveraray Castle' for photographic records AG 549, AG 551, AG 558 and AG 1580 which are now stored there.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions