Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Beattock, Old Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Beattock, Old Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Evan Water; Evan Bridge; Lochhouse Farm

Canmore ID 214771

Site Number NT00SE 152

NGR NT 07711 02784

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/214771

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkpatrick-juxta
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT00SE 152 07711 02784

For (successor) 'new' Beattock Bridge (07797 02770), see NT00SE 125.

See also NT00SE 165 and NT00SE 166.

This bridge formerly carried the Carlisle-Lockerbie-Glasgow 'Annandale' route (the predecessor to the A74) over the Evan Water to the N of Beattock village (NT00SE 111) and immediately S of Lochhouse Farm (NT00SE 126). It was replaced in 1819 by the 'new' bridge (NT00SE 125) 85m downstream (to the E).

This bridge is depicted, but not noted, on the OS 1:2500 map of 1981.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 10 March 2006.

J R Hume 2000.

Activities

Publication Account

The records of the Commissioners of Supply for Dumfriesshire show that funding was considered for building a bridge over the Water of Evan and that this work was included in the programme for new bridges and a committee appointed for overseeing the work in 1717. Agreement for construction of the bridge was reached with Thomas Johnstoun in August 1719.

J Robertson 1993

Construction

In August 1719, agreement was reached between Commssioners of Supply for Dumfriesshsire and Thomas Johnstone, vintner in Moffat for the construction of a bridge over the Water of Evan.

J Robertson 1993

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions