Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Harris, Rodel

Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Harris, Rodel

Classification Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Rodel Hotel

Canmore ID 214749

Site Number NG08SW 17

NGR NG 04679 83043

NGR Description Centred on NG 04679 83043

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/214749

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Harris
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG08SW 17 centred on 04679 83043

For Radar Station see NG08SE 3

This accommodation camp for the personnel of the Radar Station (NG08SE) is situated to the SW of St Clement's Church (NG08SW 7) on the W side of the A859 road.

There are many hut bases still extant, a water tank and two air-raid shelters were also noted on the date of visit.

J Guy 2002; NMRS MS 810/12, 119-120, 123-4

The hutted camp is visible on vertical air photographs taken in 1946 (106G/Scot/UK 104, 4180-4182, flown 19 May 1946), in an area immediately N of the walled garden of the Rodel Hotel (NG08SW 11).

At least sixteen mainly Nissen type huts are visible, including a group of four conjoined huts forming a t-shape in plan and what is possibly an electricity generating house at NG 04672 83100. Only one hut base can be seen on the photographs.

The hut bases are depicted on the current OS 1:2500 scale digital map.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), August 2005

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions