Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Lewis, Brenish

Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Lewis, Brenish

Classification Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Breanais; Breinis; Tom Na Ba Bailgfhionn

Canmore ID 213905

Site Number NA92NE 9

NGR NA 99309 26383

NGR Description Centred NA 99309 26383

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Uig
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NA92NE 9 centred 99309 26383

For Radar Station see also NA92SE 18

The accommodation site for the radar station (NA92SE 18) is mainly situated on the E side of the N-S road that runs through Brenish, just S of the village hall.

The powerhouse (generator house) survives along with two motor transport buildings, two air-raid shelters and many concrete hut bases. Sheep pens now cover the main part of the site, notable where the NAAFI and other huts once stood.

J Guy 2002; NMRS MS 810/12, 1-6

The motor transport building at NA 99240 26198 is a garage with three bays. The brick and concrete engine room, 60m NW of the unroofed Old Schoolhouse (NA92NE 10), has a blast wall at the N end (NA 99280 26536). Several hut platforms also survive in the field to the S of the old schoolhouse.

The combined accommodation camp for the radar stations at Mealasta (NA92SE 18) and that at Islivig (NB 02NW 31) is visible on vertical air photographs (CPE/Scot/UK 186, 1345-1346, flown 9 October 1946) which show that it straddled the road. Most of the accommodation huts were situated on the E side of the road immediately S of the village hall, whilst to the W of the road, a possible second generator house and two or three other structures are visible on the photographs.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, CS, SW), 3 August 2005.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions