Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wanlockhead Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Wanlockhead Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Leadhills And Wanlockhead Light Railway; Wanlockhead And Leadhills Light Railway

Canmore ID 213319

Site Number NS81SE 39

NGR NS 87286 12552

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/213319

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Sanquhar
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NS81SE 39 87286 12552

This terminal station on the Wanlockhead and Leadhills Light Railway was opened by that company on 1 OPctober 1902. It passed to the Caledonian Railway on amalgamation, when the WLLR became that company's branch from Abington on the West Coast Main Line. It passed to the London, Midland and Scottish Railway at grouping (1923), and was closed to regular passenger traffic by that company on 2 January 1939.

Thomas cites the dates of opening as:

1 October 1901 Elvanfoot - Leadhills

19 September 1902 Leadhills - Wanlockhead (goods)

12 October 1902 Leadhills - Wanlockhead (passenger).

The station is apparently depicted but not noted on the current edition of the OS (GIS) MasterMap.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 21 May 2009.

J Thomas 1971; R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions