Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalkeith, Old Edinburgh Road, Buccleuch Church

Church (19th Century)

Site Name Dalkeith, Old Edinburgh Road, Buccleuch Church

Classification Church (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) West Church

Canmore ID 211694

Site Number NT36NW 252

NGR NT 32965 67293

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/211694

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Dalkeith
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Architect: William Burn 1837

Activities

Publication Account (1998)

Built in 1840 to a design of William Burn, it is indicative of the growing population of the town in the nineteenth century. The growing congregation in the parish church of St Nicholas had put pressure on the inadequate accommodation, and so the fifth duke of Buccleuch gifted the site and built and endowed the church.

Information from ‘Historic Dalkeith: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1998).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions