Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Auchendinny Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Auchendinny Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River North Esk; Woodhouselee Viaduct; Firth Viaduct

Canmore ID 211521

Site Number NT26SE 98

NGR NT 25829 61614

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/211521

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Glencorse
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT26SE 98 25829 61614

For adjacent tunnel (to W), see NT26SE 46.

Viaduct [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1979.

The viaduct formerly carried the Penicuik branch of the North British Rly (now a public walkway) over the River North Esk to the SE of Auchendinny village (NT26SE 88) and to the N of Old Woodhouselee Castle (NT26SE 10). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Glencorse (to the W) and Lasswade (to the E).

The Penicuik branch (from Rosewell and Hawthornden) was built by the Penicuik Rly, and closed to regular passenger traffic on 10 September 1951.

The location assigned to this record defines the apparent midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence indicates that it extends from NT c. 25739 61604 to NT c. 25848 61620.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 15 May 2006.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980.

Activities

Construction (1872)

Viaduct built crossing the River Esk as part of the North British Railway Penicuik Branch.

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

Firth Viaduct, Auchendinny is a ten-arch masonry viaduct crossing the Esk on a curve at a height of 66 ft was built in 1872 by the North British Railway on its Penicuik Branch. The arches are all of 35 ft span and semicircular with brick arch-rings similar to those introduced by Miller 25 years earlier. A curious feature of the viaduct is that the three piers in the river are on the skew, lining in with the direction of flow. This means that there are two skew spans over the river; two hybrid half-skew and half-square spans; and, all others, square spans. The hybrid spans are of unusual arch-ring brick construction in that one elevation of the arch is longer than the corresponding elevation on the other side because of the arch geometry. The viaduct was

designed by the company’s consulting engineer, Thomas Bouch.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions