Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, High Street, City Chambers, War Memorial

War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, High Street, City Chambers, War Memorial

Classification War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Great War Stone

Canmore ID 211239

Site Number NT27SE 285.01

NGR NT 25771 73631

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/211239

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 285.01 25771 73631

This memorial is situated beneath the canopied portico in front of the City Chambers and is readily accessible from the High Street. A plaque notes that the 'stone of remembrance' was set up to commemorate the people of Edinurgh lost in the First World War. It was unveiled by HRH Prince Henry on Armistice Day 1927, being accepted on behalf of the city by Lord Provost Stenson. A further commemorative inscription was added after the Second World War.

Visited by RCAHMS (RJCM), 15 March 2002. Notes updated with information provided by Mr T Skelton, 13 April 2010.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions