Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West Barns, Sherriff Works

Engineering Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name West Barns, Sherriff Works

Classification Engineering Works (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Stalk

Canmore ID 210946

Site Number NT67NE 263

NGR NT 65472 78030

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/210946

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Dunbar
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT67NE 263 65472 78030

This building, now a store in the works of Messrs. Th. Sheriff and Co., was built about 1878 as a machine shop. It is 200 feet long by 40 feet wide, one storey in height and built of brown bricks to the windows which are large. The roof is of corrugated iron, and has no internal supporting columns. No original fittings remain apart from some shafting.

An engine house formerly stood against the E wall, but this has been dismantled apart from the chimney, which is about 50 feet high, of square section decreasing as it rises and constructed of the same brown bricks, with whiter bricks at the quoins. Visted 19 August 1965.

A Graham 1965-6.

(Location cited as NT655779) Built 1878. A single-storey red-and-white brick building on an L-plan, the longer wing being 4- by 8- bay. Also has a neat square section red-and -white chimney.

J R Hume 1976.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions