Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkland, Glencairn Parish Church And Churchyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Kirkland, Glencairn Parish Church And Churchyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) War Memorial Plaques

Canmore ID 209999

Site Number NX89SW 60

NGR NX 80906 90471

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/209999

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Glencairn
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Mr McCandlish, 1836

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Note

Glencairn Church was recorded on 9th November 2016 as part of the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to the proposed closure and possible sale of rthe church. HES was notified of the proposed closure by the Scottish Redundant Churches Trust. The church designed by William McCandlish 1836-7 survives with the three galleries intact. The platform area was refurnished in 1902 when the organ was installed that rises through the west gallery. A monument of particular interest is the bronze memorial to Rev Patrick Bowwman designed by James Paterson. Bowman was the first Free Church minister of the parish. In the vestry are framed perspectives of a proposed restoration of the Old Parish Church by J Wilson Paterson of 1928.

HIstoric Environment Scotland (STG) 16 November 2016

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions