Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Polmadie, Toryglen, Z Battery

Rocket Projector Battery (Second World War)

Site Name Glasgow, Polmadie, Toryglen, Z Battery

Classification Rocket Projector Battery (Second World War)

Alternative Name(s) Cz2; Clyde Aa Defences; Prospecthill Road

Canmore ID 208539

Site Number NS56SE 1534

NGR NS 5995 6195

NGR Description Centred NS 5995 6195

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/208539

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Rutherglen (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 1534 centred 5995 6195

A 'Z' battery of unrotating fixed projectile rocket launchers was situated about 250m NW of what is now Toryglen school (itself on the site of the heavy anti-aircraft battery NS66SW 114). The battery is visible on a wartime RAF oblique air photograph (No.1 CAM oblique, x902, flown 21 October 1941) as rows of small huts with the accommodation camp for the personnel situated to the E and NE.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), February 2002

This 'Z' battery is noted in PRO document (WO 166/7309, 6 AA Gp letter) dated 27 October 1942 and is recorded as being armed with 64 U2P (unrotating projectile) twin barrelled launchers and supplied with radar in the form of GL Mk1. It was manned in december 1943 by 101 Battery Home Guard as part of 107 Battery.

Information CBA Twentieth Century Fortifications in the United Kingdom, site gazeteers: Scotland (i)

Activities

Note (25 February 2019)

Nothing can be seen in an area now occupied by housing and public open spaces of a World War Two rocket projector battery and camp site, which are visible on an RAF air photograph (CAM/015/X/00902) taken on 21 October 1941 and also noted in a document held by the National Archives at Kew (WO 166 7369). It was one of six batteries that were constructed to protect the industries in the centre of Glasgow and along the banks of the River Clyde from aerial attack by the Luftwaffe.

Information from HES, Survey and Recording (ATW, AKK), 25 February 2019

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions