Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Tyrie House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tyrie House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 20819

Site Number NJ96SW 10

NGR NJ 936 632

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/20819

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Tyrie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ96SW 10 936 632.

(NJ 938 629) Tyrie House, founded by James Fraser (d 1690) is described by Macfarlane (1723) as '... a large edifice of 40 foot square and a large round on every corner with a pavilion roof. The upper storey of 3 being one roume of 40 foot square having 4 large chimneys and eight windows and so many in each of the lower storeys with a coat of arms weel cut for the lintels as the branshes of the family. This house not being finished in the rounds ... is like to turn ruinous ...' It lies '... about 1/2 mile E. of the church, being an avenue the whole way.'

W Macfarlane 1906

According to Mr Bell, (Mr G L Bell, Tyrie Mains, Pitsligo, Aberdeen), Tyrie House stood within a field centred at

NJ 936 632, but no trace remains. Some coping stones from the old house are built into Tyrie Mains.

Visited by OS (NKB) 8 March 1967.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions