Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tyrie, Raven Stone

Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Tyrie, Raven Stone

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Tyrie Kirk

Canmore ID 20818

Site Number NJ96SW 1

NGR NJ 9300 6311

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/20818

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Tyrie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Tyrie (St Andrew), Aberdeenshire, Pictish symbol stone

Measurements: H 1.12m, W 0.71m

Stone type: blue mica schist

Place of discovery: NJ c 930 631

Present location: built into an inside wall of the parish church at Tyrie.

Evidence for discovery: found in or just before 1800 in the foundations of the old parish church, the precise location of which is uncertain, but presumably within the kirkyard (the new church was built in 1800). It was placed first in the porch of the new church, removed in the 1890s when it was photographed, and subsequently built into an interior wall of the church.

Present condition: the photograph used in ECMS shows damage to the top right and base of the stone, and the incised lines are painted in black.

Description

One broad face of this slab is incised with two Pictish symbols: an eagle facing left and almost standing on the top of a notched rectangle with Z-rod.

Date: seventh century.

References: ECMS pt 3, 187-8; Fraser 2008, no 49.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017

Archaeology Notes

NJ96SW 1 9300 6311

See also NJ96SW 9 and NJ96SW 17.

A slab of blue mica-schist bearing Pictish symbols was recovered from the foundation of the NE corner of the old parish church (NJ96SW 9) and now stands within the porch of the new church at NJ 9300 6310.

NSA 1845; A Groome 1901; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.

Activities

Field Visit (8 March 1967)

A Pictish symbol stone, named Raven Stone, as described and illustrated by Allen.

Its precise find-spot could not be ascertained (but see NJ96SW 17 - Old Parish Church, possible site)

Visited by OS (NKB), 8 March 1967.

Reference (1994)

This stone is built into an inside wall of the church, adjacent to the vestry; the symbols have been blacked-in.

RCAHMS 1994.

External Reference (23 December 1996)

Descheduled: former index number 87.

Information from Historic Scotland, 23 December 1996.

Reference (1997)

Class I symbol stone - the Raven Stone - showing an eagle over a divided rectangle.

A Mack 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions