Garthdee, Gravel Pit
Sand And Gravel Workings (Period Unassigned)
- Council Aberdeen, City Of
- Parish Aberdeen
- Former Region Grampian
- Former District City Of Aberdeen
- Former County Aberdeenshire
NJ90SW 236 9219 0312
Nothing is now visible of this gravel-pit, which is first depicted on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire, 1904, sheet lxxxvi.NW). Some years ago the abandoned pit was landscaped and converted into a caravan park, but this too is now disused.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, ARG), 28 July 2003.
Archaeological Evaluation (7 June 2010 - 5 July 2010)
NJ 9218 0316 An evaluation was carried out 7 June–5 July 2010 on the eastern part of a development site at Garthdee Campus. The work was considered necessary due to the proximity of a previously excavated Neolithic structure (NJ90SW 268). A trial trench evaluation carried out 7–11 June 2010 revealed the remains of a building marked on an early 20th-century OS map. This building was probably associated with the gravel
pit (NJ90SW 236) that is marked on the same map and which the evaluation trenches indicated had been used for modern landfill. A cluster of possible pits and features, one of which contained a flint blade of Early Neolithic date, were also recorded during the evaluation. A subsequent excavation on 5 July 2010 revealed that the possible pit features were tree boles. The discovery of the flint blade in the upper fill of one these features probably reflects the effect of bioturbation.
Archive: RCAHMS (intended)
Funder: Robert Gordon University
Iraia Arabaolaza and Alastair Becket – GUARD