Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilsyth, 55-63 Main Street

Tenement (19-20th Century)

Site Name Kilsyth, 55-63 Main Street

Classification Tenement (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Imperial Restaurant; 55, 57, 59, 61, 63, 65 Main Street

Canmore ID 207635

Site Number NS77NW 114

NGR NS 71751 77904

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/207635

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Kilsyth (North Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumbernauld And Kilsyth
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Activities

Publication Account (2006)

Main Street was enhanced in 1904-05 by the erection of the three-storey red ashlar shop and tenement, the former Imperial Restaurant, at nos 55-63 Main Street (fig 15), designed by George Hay (NS 7175 7790; Category B-listed). The building, which displays the influence of the Glasgow Style, has alternate splayed bays in cavetto recesses through its upper two storeys. The cornices at first-floor level have a sinuous key block treatment and the parapets have curved tops. The overall fascia of the original shop front survives; there is some engraved glass and doors with onion-shaped fanlights. The interior of no 55 Main Street, now a general store, had until recently retained the original woodwork screens, stained glass, and light fittings of the former Imperial Restaurant.

Information from ‘The Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Kilsyth: Archaeology and Development’ (2006).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions