Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilsyth, 36-42 Main Street, White House Building

Shop(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Kilsyth, 36-42 Main Street, White House Building

Classification Shop(S) (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 36, 38, 40, 42 Main Street

Canmore ID 207634

Site Number NS77NW 113

NGR NS 71805 77870

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/207634

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Kilsyth (North Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumbernauld And Kilsyth
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Activities

Publication Account (2006)

Much of Main Street was rebuilt during the late nineteenth century (figs 16 & 18). At no 11 Main Street, the gable-roofed building displays the date 1869 and no 14 is dated 1882. The property at nos 36-42 Main Street, once occupied by 'The White House, Outfitters and Clothiers', appears to be of the late nineteenth century, although the date 1910 is displayed on the chimney of the nepus gable (fig 17). It is currently in poor condition but retains original high quality shop fronts (NS 7178 7786; Category B-listed), each of three bays with a central recessed door, large glass panes (now boarded), and original timber fascia boards.

Information from ‘The Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Kilsyth: Archaeology and Development’ (2006).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions