Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fetterangus Church

Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Fetterangus Church

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Canmore ID 20738

Site Number NJ95SE 4.01

NGR NJ 9813 5056

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/20738

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Old Deer
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Fetterangus, Aberdeenshire, Pictish symbol stone

Measurements: H 1.10m, W 0.76m

Stone type: whinstone

Place of discovery: NJ 9813 5056

Present location: fixed to the inner face of the kirkyard wall at Fetterangus, close to the entrance.

Evidence for discovery: found lying in the kirkyard by Gibb in 1876.

Present condition: very weathered and damaged at either end.

Description

This slab has been carved on at least two occasions. It is incised with a disc and rectangle (‘mirror case’) superimposed upon a disc with an inner circle, and the twin arcs of the earlier disc have been utilised as part of the internal decoration of the rectangle. Below the disc and rectangle is a triple disc with a bar, while above both is a curving line ending in a scroll.

Date: seventh century.

References: Gibb 1878, 196-7; ECMS pt 3, 164; Fraser 2008, no 20.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2017

Activities

Reference (1995)

This Pictish symbol stone is fixed to the inside of the graveyard wall, to the right of the entrance; the symbols are well nigh illegible.

RCAHMS 1995.

Reference (1997)

Class I symbol stone showing an arrangement of lines over a mirror-case with a triple disc and bar below.

A Mack 1997.

Desk Based Assessment

NJ95SE 4.01 9813 5056

A symbol stone lies at the entrance to the graveyard of Fetterangus Church. It is of whinstone, 1.1m x 0.78m, and is much weathered, but the remains of a scroll, a mirror case and the triple disc with cross bar symbol are discernible.

A Gibb 1878; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; RCAHMS 1985.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions