Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West Kilbride, Main Street, Kirktonhall House

House (17th Century), Office(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name West Kilbride, Main Street, Kirktonhall House

Classification House (17th Century), Office(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Council Offices

Canmore ID 206755

Site Number NS24NW 83

NGR NS 20505 48302

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/206755

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish West Kilbride
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Erected in 1660.

Three storey house of a variety of periods, one date stone of 1660. Altered in 1791 with inscription 'rebuilt by Frank Ritchie 1791' and later crenellated parapet over the double height porch has a date of 1807.

Photographed on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publications.

RCAHMS 2009

Site Management (17 July 2009)

Tall 3 storey house backing onto main street; harled; grey painted stone dressings; battlemented parapet has date 1807; another datestone near street level has initials R.S. and M.W. 1660 - Principal facade towards garden to rear; centre projecting 2 storey porch has Gothic Palladian window on 1st floor and lower stage supported on corner columns; lintel has inscription "Rebuilt by Frank Ritchie 1791"; long 3 window facade, ridge roof with large Victorian dormers, plain gables; lower addition to left has bay window.

Dr. Robert Simpson, translator of Euclid, was a native of West Kilbride, his family having lived at Kirktonhall for some generations. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions