Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, Academy Road, High School

Hotel (19-20th Century), School (17th Century)

Site Name Stirling, Academy Road, High School

Classification Hotel (19-20th Century), School (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Highland Hotel; Stirling Academy

Canmore ID 205280

Site Number NS79SE 261

NGR NS 79344 93508

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/205280

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Architecture Notes

NS79SE 261 79344 93508

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

Stirling Academy, designed by J W & J Hay, Architects of Liverpool - 1854-6

Contract of #1,000. Stone from Bannockburn Quarries. Buildings grouped around a quadrangle comprising six school-rooms, alarge examination hall, with laboratory and retiring rooms, museum, and janitor's residence over entrance gate.

The Building Chronicle, 1855

SRO

Conversion of Old [Stirling] Academy into a place for stores and offices for the militia.

Proposed purchase by the County from the Town for this purpose.

Letter from John Murray [of Polmaise] to John Murray, his son.

1855 GD 189/2/1007

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Messrs Hay Liverpool 1852. Sculpture executed by A H Handyside Ritchie.

James M Maclaren, London (competition design) 1886-1889

Activities

Publication Account (1978)

The Grammar School was a one-storey building on Castle Hill until 1635 when it was rebuilt, enlarged and covered with 'sclaitt' (Hutchison, 1904, 18). It was apparently reconstructed ln 1788, a plain building of three storeys and a garret (RCAHM, 1963, 284) After the erection of the High School in 1854, the old Grammar School .building was turned over for military use (RCAHM, 1963, 284).

Information from Scottish Burgh Survey, ‘Historic Stirling: The Archaeological Implications of Development’, (1978).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions