Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Prestwick, Kirk Street, Council Offices

Office(S) (Period Unassigned), Town Hall (19-20th Century)

Site Name Prestwick, Kirk Street, Council Offices

Classification Office(S) (Period Unassigned), Town Hall (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Prestwick, Town Hall; Burgh Hall; Burgh School

Canmore ID 205038

Site Number NS32NE 80

NGR NS 35210 26241

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/205038

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Monkton And Prestwick
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Architecture Notes

NS32NE 80 35210 26241

Situated on the corner of The Cross and Kirk Street are the Council Offices. Built about 1837 as the Burgh School it has a gothic spire with clock. Used as the Burgh Hall and annotated as this on the various editions of the OS 25-inch maps.

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey (ONB) describes the building as ' Is a plain Gothic building with clock and bells, the ground portion of it is used as a jail. The average attendance of scholars is about 60.Principles taught English reading, grammer, writing, arithmetic. The schoolmasters salary is £5 annually from the Burgh with scholars fees' (Name Book 1856 )

Information from RCAHMS (DE), July 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions