Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

'Abbotshall'

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name 'Abbotshall'

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Mains Of Waterton; Abbot's Hall

Canmore ID 20487

Site Number NJ93SE 24

NGR NJ 9855 3010

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/20487

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Ellon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ93SE 24 9855 3010.

In 1532 Abbot Thomas Chrystall erected a hall at Ellon. According to Simpson this may have been the building of which a small fragment can be seen between the Mains of Waterton (NJ 985 302) and the River Ythan, close to Abbot's Haugh and Abbot's Well. Godsman states categorically that Abbotshall stood here on the precipitous banks of the Ythan, and that the foundations, including a circular tower, can be traced. Lintels of doors and windows have been found on the site. The Abbot's garden is between the building and the Mains of Waterton.

W D Simpson 1958

Pratt describes Abbotshall as being in the vicinity of Abbot's Haugh, and a little below Abbot's Well. It measured overall 30' E-W by 15' N-S. Some vestiges of the Abbot's Garden can be seen on a rock above the ruin to the NE.

J B Pratt 1870

The alleged site of Abbotshall is at NJ 9855 3010 on the flattish summit of a tree-grown promontory bounded on the E and S sides by steep rocky slopes, the easiest means of approach being from the NE. On the E side of the summit, a stretch of outer wall face, 2.0m long, can be seen just protruding through the turf. Elsewhere, loose stones and amorphous turf-covered banks testify to the former existence of an early building, but its shape cannot be ascertained. There is no trace of a round tower. Without excavation it cannot be determined whether this is a 16th century building. The walled garden, 15.0m to the NE is probably later, though the tradition remains that this is the Abbot's Garden. There is no trace and no local knowledge of Abbot's Well.

Visited by OS (NKB) 3 September 1970

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions