Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Monkland Canal, Coatbridge Cross Roving Bridge

Roving Bridge (18th Century)

Site Name Monkland Canal, Coatbridge Cross Roving Bridge

Classification Roving Bridge (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Monkland Canal, Horse Bridge, Coatbridge Cross

Canmore ID 204565

Site Number NS76NW 68.01

NGR NS 7310 6508

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/204565

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Old Monkland (Monklands)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Monklands
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS76NW 68.01 7310 6508.

This is one of the bridges crossing the canal at this point, representing almost every branch of transport.

C McCutcheon 1993.

This pedestrian bridge, slightly arched and low over the water, was constructed to take horses from the towpath over the main canal to the Gartsherrie Branch. This roving bridge was called the 'Horse Bridge.'

G Hutton 1993.

This bridge is visible on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Lanarkshire 1864, sheet vii) and on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Lanarkshire 1899, sheet viiSE). According to plans in the North Lanarkshire Archives, Cumbernauld (Drumpellier Estate Papers U12 082 and U12 083) the bridge was still in existence c.1900 and c.1905.

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 20 December 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions