Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Girvan, Penkill Road, Railway Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Girvan, Penkill Road, Railway Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Girvan New Station; Girvan Station; Girvan, New Station

Canmore ID 203277

Site Number NX19NE 71

NGR NX 19036 98366

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/203277

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Girvan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NX19NE 71 19036 98366

Station [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1989.

Girvan Station [NAT]

OS (GIS) AIB, June 2006.

Not to be confused with Old Station (at NX c. 18596 98367), for which see NX19NE 174.

The present ('new') station at Girvan was built in 1877, when the Glasgow and South Western Rly took over the running of the Stranraer line; this move was not popular as the new station was further from the town. The resulting pattern of services is unclear, but the New Station opened to regular passenger traffic on 1 October 1877, trains apparently calling at either station for an uncertain period therafter. A coaling stage was erected adjacent to the station.

D L Smith 1969.

Girvan, New Station. This station was opened (as Girvan New Station) by the Glasgow and Portpatrick Junction Rly on 5 October 1877. It closed to regular passenger traffic on 7 February 1882, reopened on 1 August 1883, and closed again on 12 April 1886. It was again reopened on 18 June 1886, closed on 2 September 1886, and was finally reopened (by the Ayrshire and Wigtownshire Rly) on 14 July 1890. It was renamed Girvan Station on 1 April 1893.

R V J Butt 1995.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow - Ayr - Stranraer (main) line of the (former) Glasgow and South Western Rly is situated on the N side of Girvan (NX19NE 44). It remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 26 June 2006.

Architecture Notes

Single storey station building c. 1950's but with designed with attractive Art Deco detailing.

Photographed on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publications.

RCAHMS 2009

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions