Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hill Of Harland, Rotor Radar Station

Radar Station (20th Century), Radio Station (20th Century)

Site Name Hill Of Harland, Rotor Radar Station

Classification Radar Station (20th Century), Radio Station (20th Century)

Canmore ID 202513

Site Number ND35SW 54

NGR ND 3267 5378

NGR Description Centred ND 3267 5378

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/202513

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Wick
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND35SW 54 centred 3267 5378

A radio station is situated on the summit of the Hill of Harland. The station is visible on post-war RAF vertical aerial photographs (106G/Scot/UK, 4013-14, flown 9 May 1946) which shows seven masts, a receiving/ transmitting block and electricity generating block (ND 3254 5388).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2001.

The WW II VHF station for Wick Airfield (ND35SE 103.00) which was redeveloped as a ROTOR radar station during the postwar period. Although completed, no equipment was installed and it never became operational.

Information from Defence of Britain Project form, (A Gutteridge), 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions