Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Nigg Parish

Findspot, Chain (Silver)

Site Name Nigg Parish

Classification Findspot, Chain (Silver)

Canmore ID 20251

Site Number NJ90SW 13

NGR NJ 9 0

NGR Description Unlocated

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/20251

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Nigg (City Of Aberdeen)
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90SW 13 unlocated.

Jonathan Troup, Surgeon, in 1796, presented fragments of a massive bronze chain to the Museum. The links are circular, and pairs alternate with single links. They are 34 in diameter and 7 in thickness. The chain was found at Nigg. It is not stated in what units the measurements are taken, but presumably they are millimetres.

R W Reid 1912.

In King's College Museum, Aberdeen, is a portion of a chain of silver formed by eleven interlinked circular rings, each 1in diameter found

in the parish of Nigg.

J C Watt 1914.

Both authorities refer to the same chain. The metal is actually a mixture of silver and bronze according to Mr Gordon, assistant curator of Marischal College Museum. The King's College Museum Collection was transferred to the Marischal College Museum in the years subsequent to 1914.

Visited by OS (JLD) 9 November 1961.

Similar chains in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) are labelled 'Pictish, about 700 A.D.' Information from S Willy 17 October 1967.

There is no change to the existing record.

Information from RCAHMS (JRS), 24 January 2002.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions