Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ayr, Barracks

Barracks (19-20th Century), Barracks (First World War), Barracks (Second World War), Hospital (First World War)

Site Name Ayr, Barracks

Classification Barracks (19-20th Century), Barracks (First World War), Barracks (Second World War), Hospital (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Churchill Barracks; Regimental Depot Royal Scots Fusiliers

Canmore ID 202154

Site Number NS32SW 378

NGR NS 33286 22323

NGR Description Centred on NS 33286 22323

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/202154

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Ayr
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (12 September 2013)

Ayr barracks was the Regimental Depot for the Royal Scots Fusiliers. The barracks was depicted on the 1st edition OS 1:2500 map (surveyed 1857), and on subsequent maps, at least as late as the 6-inch map of 1947 (surveyed 1938). The barracks was renamed the Churchill Barracks in 1942.

The barracks have been demolished.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 12 September 2013.

Archaeology Notes

NS32SW 378 centred 33286 22323

Architecture Notes

NS32SW 378

The Barracks are depicted on OS 2nd Edition map (Ayrshire, sheet XXXIII, 1896). They have since been demolished.

Information from RCAHMS (TIC), November 2001.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions