Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Garrion Mill

Mill (19th Century)

Site Name Garrion Mill

Classification Mill (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dalserf

Canmore ID 201959

Site Number NS75SE 64

NGR NS 79488 50906

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/201959

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Cambusnethan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Motherwell
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

'Garrion Mill' is depicted on the OS 2nd Edition map (Lanarkshire, sheet XVIII 15, 1936). It has since been demolished. Information from RCAHMS (KD), December 2001.

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (10 August 2017)

Nothing now remains of Garrion (Garion) Mill, which was situated 170m upstream from the Garrion Bridge (NS75SE 65) on the east bank of the River Clyde. It is first depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 25-inch map (Lanark 1859, Sheet XVII.11), but the mill dated to at least the 1830s with the Baptismal Records of Wishaw Relief Church recording the birth of James Bryce in 1832 with the parents residence recorded as ‘Garion Mill’. In 1859 it is depicted as an ‘L’ shaped building measuring 26m from NE to SW by 16m transversely, with a weir 180m upstream controlling the flow of water to the grain mill. The 2nd edition map (Lanarkshire 1897, Sheet 018.15), which specifies the mill as a corn mill, shows that it has expanded with several other buildings built parallel to the river. Professor Hume photographed the mill in 1969 shortly before its closure after it was badly damaged in a fire in March 1970. It was the last of the water-powered grain mills in the Clyde Valley to close. Today only the weir survives and a residential building now occupies the site of the mill.

Information from HES Survey and Recording (AMcC) 10 August 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions