Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Aberdeen, Shoe Lane

Findspot (19th Century), Coin Hoard (16th Century)

Site Name Aberdeen, Shoe Lane

Classification Findspot (19th Century), Coin Hoard (16th Century)

Canmore ID 20188

Site Number NJ90NW 64

NGR NJ 943 064

NGR Description NJ c. 943 065

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/20188

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 64 c. 943 065.

A hoard of c.3cwt of billon coins of Queen Mary, all dated 1558 and contained in three bags, was found in the summer of 1847 by workmen digging the foundation for an extension to the premises of Mssrs John Smith and Co., Iron merchants, Shoe Lane. (NJ 9434 0646-NJ 9437 0656). Since it was found on the site of the burial ground of the Franciscan friary (NJ90NW 26) it is deduced to have been buried by the occupants of that establishment immediately before the Reformation.

Aberdeen J Notes & Queries 1909; G M Fraser 1906.

The present whereabouts of this coin hoard is not known.

Information from RCAHMS (JRS), 9 May 1997.

Activities

Watching Brief (15 November 2011 - 1 May 2012)

A watching brief was carried out from 15 November 2011- 1 May 2012 on trenches excavated for the City Centre Heating Phase 1 (Aberdeen City Council Planning references P110789, P111251 and change of route P120455). The trench for laying the pipes starts at The Beach Ballroom, Links Road (AB24 5NR), runs SW along Links Road, along Constitution Street, around Constitution Court, along Wales Street, across Park Street, along Frederick Street, north along King Street, Mealmarket Street, West North Street to Mitchell Hall (AB24 5AS) and also SW along Longacre and Queen Street to Grampian Police HQ and Aberdeen City Council Town House (AB10 1BS).

Information from Oasis (camerona1-125584) 24 July 2012

NJ 95273 07178 (Beach Ballroom) – NJ 94325 06603 (West North Street) – NJ 94325 06405 A watching brief was maintained, 17 November 2011 – 1 May 2012, during the excavation of trenches for new heating pipes. The trenches running from The Town House, Broad Street to Aberdeen Leisure Centre, Beach Boulevard were 1.5m wide and 1.2m deep. The foundations of 19th-century tenements were recorded in Broad Street and garden soils in Mealmarket Street.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Aberdeen Heat and Power

Alison Cameron (Cameron Archaeology) July 2012

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions