Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, Union Street, Kirk Of St Nicholas

Church (Period Unassigned), Session House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Aberdeen, Union Street, Kirk Of St Nicholas

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Session House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Back Wynd; Schoolhill; Correction Wynd; Belmont Street; West Parish Church; Mither Kirk; St Nicholas Uniting

Canmore ID 20164

Site Number NJ90NW 42

NGR NJ 94073 06302

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/20164

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 42.00 94073 06302

(NJ 9407 0629) St Nicholas' Church (NR)

OS 25" map, (1955).

NJ90NW 42.01 NJ 94066 06263 Churchyard

NJ90NW 42.02 NJ 94065 06349 Schoolhill Lodge

NJ90NW 42.03 NJ 94086 06184 Union Street Screen

See also:

NJ90NW 1441 94092 06302 North and East Church

Originally a cruciform 12th century parish church, St Nicholas's is now mostly modern, only the transepts, crossing and crypt being medieval. The transepts and the piers which carry the central tower are mainly of late 12th century transitional style with some later work, including the early 16th century window of the north transept which was re-modelled in the 17th. century. The crypt at the east end of the church was built in 1420 according to an inscription and dedicated to St Mary. The nave, now the West Church, was re-built in the mid 18th century; and the East Church was built on the foundation of the former choir in 1835 when the walls of the crypt were re-faced. The central spire was erected c.1874. In the churchyard is a rich collection of monuments mostly 17th century and onwards. The church is still in use.

Visited by OS (JLD) 22 August 1952.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896; HBD List nd.

Disturbed human remains were discovered by workmen during installation of a heating system, adjacent to the area excavated in 1974.

A Cameron 1990.

Newspaper references and additional bibliography cited.

NMRS, MS/712/83.

Air photograph: AAS/00/08/CT.

NMRS, MS/712/100.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Aberdeen, St. Nicholas.

Architect: Alexander Ellis.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions