Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Aberdeen, Mauchlin Tower

Tower (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Aberdeen, Mauchlin Tower

Classification Tower (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Mauchlin's Tower; Hospice Of The Knights Templar; Red Friars Monastery

Canmore ID 20157

Site Number NJ90NW 36

NGR NJ 9459 0648

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/20157

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 36 9459 0648

(NJ 9459 0648) Site of Mauchlin Tower (NR)

(Red Friars Monastery) (NAT)

OS 25" map, (1955).

The site of Mauchlin Tower, part of which survived in 1866, and was said by Gordon to have been a convent and church of the Red Friars or Templars. This was not a religious house but was merely Templar property (Easson 1957). The house of the Red Friars or Trinitarians lay elsewhere (NJ90NW 41).

Name Book 1866; D E Easson 1957; Spalding Club 1843; W Macfarlane 1907.

(Additional bibliography cited).

NMRS, MS/712/83.

The site of this tower lies in a redeveloped part of the city.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, ATW), 26 February 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions