Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Byth House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Byth House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Bythe House; Byth House Policies

Canmore ID 19925

Site Number NJ85NW 1

NGR NJ 8170 5640

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/19925

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish King Edward
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ85NW 1.00 8170 5640

NJ85NW 1.01 NJ 81732 56597 Dovecote

NJ85NW 1.02 NJ 8190 5714 Mains of Byth

NJ85NW 1.03 NJ 8259 5673 East Mains of Byth

NJ85NW 1.04 NJ 8182 5591 Lodge

NJ85NW 1.05 NJ 8150 5595 North Lodge

(NJ 8170 5640) Byth House (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

A large building evidently constructed at different times. A stone plaque on one of the outer walls bears the date 1593.

Name Book 1870.

The present owner confirms that the date 1593 is the date of erection of Byth House.

OS Reviser (R Collins) 30 July 1955.

The original Byth House was partly demolished and the present building erected on the site in 1932.

Visited by OS field Surveyor 7 October 1966.

There appears to be no remains of the original Byth House except for the plaque bearing the date 1593. The buildings to the E of the modern house are later additions and have recently been gutted and made into byres, although the tradition is that they were servants quarters for the house. A photograph in the possession of the owner, shows the pre-1932 house to be an 18th century manor house, and shows little or no evidence of earlier work.

Visited by OS (AA) 27 August 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions