Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Redland

Burnt Mound(S) (Prehistoric)(Possible)

Site Name Redland

Classification Burnt Mound(S) (Prehistoric)(Possible)

Canmore ID 1981

Site Number HY31NE 11

NGR HY 3668 1703

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/1981

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Firth
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY31NE 11 3668 1703

There is an apparently undisturbed mound, 25ft in diameter and c.5ft high, on a small plateau adjoining the S bank of the burn about a quarter-mile due west of the farm-house at Redland, and between 200 and 300ft above sea-level.

Close beside it, on the same plateau, are three other irregular and much-disturbed mounds which, though comparatively low, may be artificial. The largest, which shows signs of having been dug into, has originally had a diameter of about 40ft, and each of the others a diameter of about 20ft.

RCAHMS 1946.

Four mounds, as described by the RCAHMS, were located.

The mound at HY 3663 1705 (A) is grass-covered and composed of blackened earth and burnt stones, and measures c.8.0m E-W by c.6.0m transversely. It is situated close by a stream. Bones were found near the top of the mound by Mr Scott (Owner of Redland, Firth) who sent them to Edinburgh for investigation after excavating in 1961.

The other three mounds are grass-covered, with stones protruding through the surface and measure from 9.0m by 5.0m to c.13.0m in diameter and from c.0.3m to c.0.6m in height. They are at HY 3666 1701 (B), HY 3668 1701 (C) and HY 3669 1703 (D).

At the west side of D are two earthfast stones, set on edge, c.0.7m apart, which may represent the remains of a cist.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS(RL) 8 June 1966.

Activities

Field Visit (8 June 1966)

Four mounds, as described by the RCAHMS, were located.

The mound at HY 3663 1705 (A) is grass-covered and composed of blackened earth and burnt stones, and measures c.8.0m E-W by c.6.0m transversely. It is situated close by a stream. Bones were found near the top of the mound by Mr Scott (Owner of Redland, Firth) who sent them to Edinburgh for investigation after excavating in 1961.

The other three mounds are grass-covered, with stones protruding through the surface and measure from 9.0m by 5.0m to c.13.0m in diameter and from c.0.3m to c.0.6m in height. They are at HY 3666 1701 (B), HY 3668 1701 (C) and HY 3669 1703 (D).

At the west side of D are two earthfast stones, set on edge, c.0.7m apart, which may represent the remains of a cist.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS(RL) 8 June 1966.

Field Visit (July 1980)

That at 3670 1701 with two slabs on W side is as described;

these probably not a burial cist, such structures being often

found at sides or on, burnt mounds. That at 3668 1701 is an

insignificant rise showing a few slabs in rabbit burrows. No

trace at 3666 1701, position coincides with newly-dug drainage

ditch which must have destroyed mound. 3666 1705 is on line of

same ditch where it debouches into the stream. There is a big

mound of clay and stones here, but this looks like modern spoil.

The burnt mound may be under it but no burnt material is visible.

At 3666 1701 are two parallel and contiguous earthfast erect

slabs, no mound associated with them but they may be a relic of

an ancient structure.

Information from Orkney SMR (RGL) Jul 80.

Field Visit (17 June 2008 - 19 June 2008)

HY 3668 1703 As part of the MA in Archaeological Practice a group of postgraduate students undertook a survey of a range of features around Redland Farm on 17–19 June 2008. This included topographic survey and earthwork recording of a probable barrow cemetery (HY31NE 11), and standing building recording of a derelict post-medieval steading on the site of the modern farm (HY31NE 39). The burnt mound (HY31NE 10) was noted but no recording was undertaken.

Archive: Orkney College Archaeology Department and Orkney SMR (intended)

Funder: Orkney College, ORCA

James Moore (Orkney College UHI), 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions