Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dumbarton, Helenslee Road, Levenford House

House (19th Century), Library (20th Century)

Site Name Dumbarton, Helenslee Road, Levenford House

Classification House (19th Century), Library (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) West Bridgend; Library Headquarters

Canmore ID 196942

Site Number NS37NE 98

NGR NS 39031 75410

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/196942

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Cardross (West Dumbartonshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

NS37NE 98.00 39031 75410 Levenford House

NS37NE 98.01 39089 75283 Lodge

NS37NE 98.02 39071 75435 Gateway and Garden Wall

NS37NE 98.03 39098 75298 Stable

NS37NE 98.04 39096 75285 Lodge, Linking Bay to Stable

ARCHITECT:

J.T. Rochead 1853

Burnet & Campbell alterations

The house was recorded by the Threatened Buildings Survey on 11 June 2008 prior to its conversion from Dumbarton District Library Headquarters back into a private house on . J T Rochead designed the original baronial mansion for James Denny of the shipbuilding dynasty in 1853. In 1890 Burnet Son and Campbel, remodelled the interior including the hall, staircase, library and dining room. The latter contains stained glass windows depicting views of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling and Dumbarton taken from Slezer. The interior survives largely as it was compltered in 1890 including two fine late Victorian shower baths.

RCAHMS STG Nov 2008

Activities

Publication Account (1999)

Also dating from 1853 and, perhaps, the best remaining demonstration of the affluence of nineteenth-century Dumbarton is Leven.ford House. Built across the River Leven, in West Bridgend figure 21.L, for ship-builder William Denny, it is a fine example of a Scottish baronial mansion. At the south-east angle, a three-storied tower, with cap-house, corbelled parapet, spouts and gunports (merely decorative, not functional), and, with angle turrets, crow-step gables, mullioned windows and pedimented dormerheads, represents the height of Victorian good taste. Set within extensive grounds, and surrounded by a crenellated boundary wall (with the gateway to Helenslee Road having dummy gun ports), it is almost matched by Levenfard House Lodge, which was also built around 1853 by architect] T Rochead. In similar Scottish baronial style, it is set onto a steep slope and has many of the features of Levenford House, such as crow-stepped gables and dummy gun ports.

Information from ‘Historic Dumbarton: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1999).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions