Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Logie, Church

Church (Period Unassigned), Schoolhouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Logie, Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Schoolhouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) United Free Church; Schoolhouse

Canmore ID 196498

Site Number NO66SE 53

NGR NO 69810 63551

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/196498

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Logie Pert
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO66SE 53 69810 63551

NO 698 635 Archaeological works were required in connection with the intended conservation, conversion and extension of the Logie Schoolhouse, Logie Pert, in May 2006. These works consisted of a limited programme of trial hand excavation, which may be supplemented by historic building recording or a watching brief in the future. The evaluation revealed a number of deposits that related to 19th-century groundworks and remedial drainage works to the schoolhouse building and cottages to the S. In addition, the foundations of an outhouse associated with the adjacent ruined manse were uncovered, which confirmed existing photographic evidence. The evaluation produced no direct evidence for an early date for the schoolhouse; pre-19th-century finds were found within redeposited contexts.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS, including digital photographs. Report and digital photographs lodged with the NTS.

Sponsor: National Trust for Scotland

George Geddes, 2006.

NO 698 635 A programme of historic building recording was undertaken between August 2007 and November 2007,

on an abandoned clay-built former schoolhouse and church located in the small village of Logie, prior to its renovation and preservation.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS.

Funder: National Trust for Scotland.

Diana Sproat, 2007.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (August 2007 - November 2007)

NO 698 635 A programme of historic building recording was undertaken between August 2007 and November 2007, on an abandoned clay-built former schoolhouse and church located in the small village of Logie, prior to its renovation and preservation.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS.

Funder: National Trust for Scotland.

Diana Sproat, 2007.

Publication Account (2013)

Craigo Mill: flax, later jute spinning mill, founded in c1800. Owned from 1817 by John Maberley, then his successor in 1830, Richards and Co, of Broadford Works, Aberdeen, then passed to J & D Wilkie of Kirriemuir from 1885 so as to ensure that firm’s own jute yarn supplies. The plain between the lade and River North Esk has many drying frames of wire and steel, in order to receive fire damaged jute bales whenever there was a fire in Dundee. Here there was sufficient space to sort the jute, and deal with the spontaneous reignition to which these bales were prone. A large number of timber-framed corrugated iron-clad warehouses is there for the same reason. The mill itself is mainly early 20th century, apart from the older mechanics workshop. Spinning stopped in 1988. The weir on the North Water is by Marykirk Bridge (M10) South east, and utilising the same lade, another early spinning mill, Logie, was founded by Aberdein Gordon and Co (subsequently at Union Street Mill, Montrose, 1837) before 1805, and continued by that firm until 1860. A small mill has been adapted as a house, with an extra storey. The little settlement for workers on the higher ground near the railway line includes Logie School House, NO6980 6353. This clay building was rescued in 2004-8 by the Little Houses Improvement Scheme of the National Trust for Scotland (Europa Nostra Award 2011) and is now rented out.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions