Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kinellar

Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Kinellar

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Kinellar Church

Canmore ID 19595

Site Number NJ81SW 6

NGR NJ 8214 1445

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/19595

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Kinellar
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Kinellar, Aberdeenshire, Pictish symbol stone

Measurements: H 0.99m, W 0.56m

Stone type: granite

Place of discovery: NJ c 8214 1445

Present location: built into the vestibule of the former parish church, which was converted into a private house in 2005.

Evidence for discovery: found in 1801, built into the foundation of the SE corner of the old church, and subsequently built into the north wall of the churchyard. The date at which it was built into the porch of the church built in 1801 is unknown (Stuart’s drawing published in 1822 shows it earthfast, possibly as seen in the wall).

Present condition: weathered and trimmed, on the right-hand side lacking part of the crescent and V-rod symbol. The triangular top is likely to be part of this secondary trimming, which had taken place prior to 1822.

Description

This slab is incised with two Pictish symbols, which have a distinctly amateur air about them. At the top is a circle containing three smaller circles each with a central dot, and triangular motifs between the circles. Beneath is a crescent and V-rod, the crescent containing a linked pair of sirals, arcs and dots. Within the base of the V is a possible letter T.

Date: seventh century.

References: Stuart 1822, 315; ECMS pt 3, 170-1; Fraser 2008, no 28.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017

Activities

Field Visit (6 November 1961)

The sculptured stone as described above is now preserved inside the Church at Kirton of Kinellar.

Visited by OS (EGC) 6 November 1961.

Desk Based Assessment (1961)

A symbol stone was found in 1801, forming the foundation for the SE corner of the old church of Kinellar (NJ81SW 5). It is now built into the wall of the churchyard on the inside facing the north end of the church. It is a slab of granite, of irregular shape, pointed at the top, 3 feet 3 inches high by 1 foot 10 inches wide, sculptured with incised lines on one face.

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.

Information from OS.

Reference (1994)

This stone is built into the vestibule of the church.

RCAHMS 1994.

Reference (1997)

Class I symbol stone showing a disc over a crescent and V-rod.

A Mack 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions