Loch Of Kirbister
Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Structure (Period Unassigned)
- Council Orkney Islands
- Parish Orphir
- Former Region Orkney Islands Area
- Former District Orkney
- Former County Orkney
HY30NE 6 3717 0814.
(HY 3717 0814) A circular building with an entrance was traced on this island by Petrie in 1870.(Information from G Petrie notebook no.12 c.1879)
In June 1935 the Commission, viewing the island through binoculars from the shore, reported that the central part of the island was raised to a considerable height and that here and there a stone appeared above the grass which covered the surface, but that there was little sign of any actual construction.
A stone on edge was visible on the west side of the island and there appeared to be an enclosing ring around the central elevation a short distance from the shore line.
RCAHMS 1946, visited 1935.
This small turf-covered island now measures 37m. NE-SW by 19m. transversely, the highest portion of which is in the southern half, 1.7m. high above present water-level. An oval structure, 8.5m. E-W by 6.5m. transversely, composed of turf-covered stones and the vague outline of an attendant enclosure, are traceable on this elevated portion. Some of the stones are almost square and have obviously been used for building purposes.
No further information could be obtained about this site.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (RL) 1966.
Orkney Smr Note (August 1997)
Revisited by canoe in 1997. As described but also noted upright entrance stones (see photo); entire island has a low well-built wall of some dressed stones encircling it; and there is a small projecting pier.
Information from Orkney SMR MLW Aug 1997