Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Elgin, Pluscarden Road, Dr Gray's Hospital

Hospital (First World War), Hospital (19th Century)

Site Name Elgin, Pluscarden Road, Dr Gray's Hospital

Classification Hospital (First World War), Hospital (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) West Road; Auxiliary Hospital

Canmore ID 193896

Site Number NJ26SW 64

NGR NJ 20795 62545

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/193896

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Elgin
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Buildings of Scotland 2013-14 (13 June 2013)

Large classical block with giant Doric columns supporting a portico and topped with drum tower and dome. Designed as a hospital by James Gillespie Graham, 1815-19. The hospital was endowed by Dr Alexander Gray who had made a fortune with the East India Company.

Architecture Notes

NJ26SW 64.00 20788 62545

NJ26SW 64.01 20818 62513 Lodge

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: James Gillespie Graham, 1815-19.

Activities

Photographic Survey (13 June 2013)

Photographed on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publications 2013-14.

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions