Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kingcausie House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kingcausie House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kingcausie; Kingcausie House Policies

Canmore ID 19388

Site Number NJ80SE 26

NGR NJ 86302 00030

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/19388

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Maryculter
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ80SE 26.00 86302 00030

(NJ 8630 0002) Kingcausie (NAT)

OS 6" map (1904)

NJ80SE 26.01 NJ 86813 00847 Aberdeen Lodge and gates

NJ80SE 26.02 NJ 86108 00328 North Lodge

NJ80SE 26.03 NJ 86328 00002 Sundial

NJ80SE 26.04 NJ 86423 00009 Coach House

NJ80SE 26.05 NJ 86471 00066 Garden Cottage

NJ80SE 26.06 NJ 86479 00129 Cairnbarra (house)

NJ80SE 207 NJ 86909 00820 Kincairn House (Marybank)

NJ80SE 208 NJ 87003 00828 Hillcrest

NJ80SE 209.00 NJ 86973 00846 Marybank House

NJ80SE 209.01 NJ 86981 00872 Marybank House, The Gardener's Cottage

NJ80SE 210.00 NJ 87086 00718 Kintewline (farmhouse and steading)

NJ80SE 210.01 NJ 87045 00727 Kintewline Cottage

NO89NE 55 NO 86255 99506 Eastland House

NO89NE 70 NO 86579 99953 Steading

NO89NE 71 NO 86619 99854 Philips Cottage

NO89NE 72 NO 86392 99043 Dalfogart Lodge

NO89NE 73 NO 86688 99759 Crannoch Ree

NO89NE 74 NO 87350 98701 Blair-Crynoch Lodge (possible)

NO89NE 75 NO 87629 98672 Clyanthus Lodge

For cist at Kincairn House or Marybank (NJ c. 869 008), see NJ80SE 39.

Originally Kingcausie was one of the Temple Lands, but about 1537 they were purchased by Henry Irvine who built a house there. The foundations of this house were discovered during drainage excavations 'some years ago' and the south wall was found to make a true right angle with the old yew hedges.

The foundations, and moulded door on the south front, of the existing house date back to the beginning of the 17th century. The house was burnt about the year 1680, and the walls were incorporated in the new mansion by the 8th laird who came into the title in 1714 and died in 1740.

J Irvine-Fortescue 1938

Kingcausie is a large mansion built in Scottish Baronial style. Its structure would appear to be of 19th century date, although the south front incorporates window features indicating an 18th century period. Also in the centre of the south front is the walled-up 17th century doorway referred to above. There is no evidence of the foundation referred to.

Visited by OS (JLD) 28 November 1961

Kingcausie House stands within its grounds on the S bank of the River Dee 540m SE of Maryculter Bridge. It comprises elements of three main periods of construction an original house, probably of 17th century date but destroyed by fire about 1680, a rebuilding carried out before 1740, and additions made by David Bryce in 1852. Architectural features of 17th century date incorporated in the later building include a horizontal gunloop, a fireplace and two blocked door ways,one with a roll- moulded surround. The 18th century house, which forms the central block of the present building, was of three storeys, had a plain facade and a hipped roof. The house assumed its modest Scottish Baronial design with strongly symmetrical entrace facade in 1852 when the two wings and and entrance portico were added; at the same time the 18th century doorway was removed from the front of the house and rebuilt as a free-standing structure at the W end. A number of quern stones have also been placed at the W end of the house and a stone basin on the lawn to the S is said to have come from the broch of Burgar, Orkney (pers communication Irvine-Fortesque 1983).

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS), 9 January 1983.

Architecture Notes

ARCHITECT: David Bryce (additions) 1851

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

ORIGINALS HELD AT KINGCAUSIE

Copy of early nineteenth century plan showing proposed additions.

Copy of plans showing proposed additions in baronial manner, c.1849.

Copies of plans, elevations & perspective of additions, David Bryce, 1851.

Copy of water-colour showing house before additions of 1851.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions