Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Holyrood Park

Parade Ground (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Holyrood Park

Classification Parade Ground (19th Century)

Canmore ID 193876

Site Number NT27SE 4422

NGR NT 27388 73856

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian


Aerial Photography (12 January 1999)

Field Visit (23 August 2001)

NT27SE 4422 2738 7388

The area to the east of the palace and abbey has been known as the Parade Ground from the mid 19th century and was purchased by the crown in 1877 from the Belleville estate (see NT27SE 3955). From at least the 1830s, the area was used as a rallying point or meeting place, and in 1860 it staged the Royal Volunteer Review, a spectacle involving several regiments and attended by a crowd of over a hundred thousand. The Parade Ground is still used for mass gatherings, and, until recent years, was used for Fringe Sunday, one of the main events of the Edinburgh Festival. Five rectangular areas have been terraced into the ground on the N side of the Queen?s Drive, and the area is currently annotated as Playing Fields on the current OS 1:10,000 map.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARG), 23 August 2001


Wickham-Jones 1996

Condition Survey (12 March 2018 - 15 April 2018)

The 2018 CFA Archaeology Ltd condition survey found the site as previously described.

Information from Graeme Carruthers (CFA Archaeology Ltd) July 2018. OASIS ID: cfaarcha1-317194, no.101


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions