Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Hill Of Blairbowie

Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Kiln (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Hill Of Blairbowie

Classification Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Kiln (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Blairbowie Castle

Canmore ID 19014

Site Number NJ72SW 42

NGR NJ 724 226

NGR Description NJ c. 724 226

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/19014

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Chapel Of Garioch
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ72SW 42 c. 724 226.

(Area: NJ 724 226). Blairbowie Castle stood on the Hill of Blairbowie close to the find-spot of the urns (NJ72SW 20) about the mid 17th century.

Mr Allan removed the foundation about 1850, during drainage operation, which also revealed, near the site an old malt-kiln and a draw well. (This site was never published, presumably because Allan was the only authority who knew anything about the castle, although most people in the district could remember the ruin.)

Name Book 1867; Information from Alex Allen, Netherton.

No further information.

Visited by OS (ISS) 11 July 11 July 1973.

Nothing is now visible of Blairbowie Castle, which was removed in about 1850. Although the site of the castle is indicated on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire, sheet liv, 1869), the place-name entry in the Name Book has been scored through and annotated 'erased'. The reason for this is not clear, but the writer of the Name Book notes that Mr Allan of Netherton, who claimed to have removed the foundations of the castle, appeared to be the 'only person in the district who knows anything about Blairbowie Castle', and it may be that the OS writer had lost confidence in the accuracy of Mr Allan's account.

The recorded site lies within a featureless arable field on the summit of Blairbowie Hill about 300m SW of East Blairbowie farmsteading (NJ72SW 96) and there is also no trace of the kiln and the well that are said to have been found nearby.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 19 March 1996.

Name Book 1869.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions