Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, High Street, County Buildings

County Building (19-20th Century), Office (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Linlithgow, High Street, County Buildings

Classification County Building (19-20th Century), Office (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 122 Main Street; West Lothian County Buildings

Canmore ID 188253

Site Number NT07NW 140

NGR NT 00203 77095

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/188253

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

County Buildings, 1935, J Walker Todd

Unspectacularly neoclassical, like an overscaled town house underscaled for location, pavilion roof surprisingly undemonstrative in this street of romantic skylines. Lacks fizz. Smart interior with good Raeburns, etc. Exceptional masonry and interior craftwork joinery for its date.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NT07NW 140 00203 77095

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: David John Chisholm (of Peddie, McKay & Jamieson).

Activities

Publication Account (1996)

A site for new County Rooms designed by William Burn, 'immediately behind the Town House, and connected with the Sheriff Court Room', was granted to the county by the town council in 1819 at a low feu-duty. The W front, which faces Kirkgate, is of six bays, the end ones being slightly advanced. These end-bays contain segmental archways, the S one enclosing the entrance-doorway and the other opening to a pend. The ground-floor windows are round-arched within recesses of similar form whereas the upper storey has large rectangular windows. The entrance-hall, whose ceiling was supported on four timber columns, and the elaborate staircase to the S, were removed in 1962-3, when the first-floor committee-room and county hall were combined.

Information from ‘Tolbooths and Town-Houses: Civic Architecture in Scotland to 1833’ (1996).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions