Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Spurdagrove

Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Spurdagrove

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 1882

Site Number HY22SE 48

NGR HY 2549 2444

NGR Description HY 2549 2444 and HY 2554 2442

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/1882

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Birsay And Harray
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY22SE 48 2549 2444 and 2554 2442

(A - HY 2549 2444 : B - HY 2554 2442) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, Orkney, 2nd ed., (1900).

The standing stone five chains south of Spurdagrove (A), now fallen, is about 6 ft long and about 14 ins in breadth at one end and about three feet at the other. The other stone, about six chains south of Spurdagrove (B), is about 3 ft high by 24 ins broad.

OS Name Book 1880.

Two unimposing standing stones, 12 ft 9 ins apart, apparently erected without packing at the base, facing NE-SW.

One of the stones is still upright, though tilted slightly towards the SW, and is irregular in form, measuring 3 ft 6 ins high by 3 ft broad and 10 ins thick. It is cracked and badly weathered at several places on both faces and on top.

The other stone, now fallen, is 3 ft long and 1 ft broad, with only 8 ins showing above ground. (Although the Commission say that they are referring to the stones published by the OS, note the discrepancy between the OS distance apart - c. 60.0m - and the Commission's - '12 ft 9 ins'.)

RCAHMS 1946.

Of the two standing stones published by the OS the stone at 'A' has disappeared.

The stone at 'B', despite the differences in height and breadth, could be the erect stone described by the Commission as, 4.3m. to the NNE (ie c'12 ft 9 ins') there is a prostrate stone similar to that described by the Commission.

It is suggested that the latter may be the remains of stone 'A', removed to the side of the enclosed area, although it has no appearance of antiquity.

Visited by OS (NKB), 21 May 1967.

Activities

Orkney Smr Note

Two ancient standing stones the first, now lying, situated about 5 chains S of Spurdagrove, half a mile NW of Folster, its length about 6ft and about 14in in breadth at one end and about 3ft at the other. The second is situated about 6 chains S of Spurdagrove and midway between the latter named place and the Loch of Isbister is about 3ft in height by 24in in breadth (DELETED It is believed that this and the other stone, now lying, has

originally been erected in connection with the supposed ancient burial ground situated about 5 chains to the S). [R1]

Two standing stones on low marshy ground known as 'The Loons', S of the road from Twatt to Marwick Head, and a little over 100 yards from the farmhouse of Spurdagrove. One of them is now prostrate. They are 12 ft 9in apart. The more Westerly of the two rises 3.5ft above the ground, and measures 3ft across by about 10in thick. The other is about 3ft long by a little over 1ft in greatest breadth, with only about 8in showing above the ground. [R2]

Information from Orkney SMR [n.d.]

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions