Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Halkirk, Church Street, Drill Hall

Church (19th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (19-20th Century)

Site Name Halkirk, Church Street, Drill Hall

Classification Church (19th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Millkirk Chapel

Canmore ID 187539

Site Number ND15NW 99

NGR ND 1320 5924

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/187539

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Halkirk
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (17 July 2013)

The Halkirk drill hall was built as Millkirk Chapel in 1855 but had been converted to a drill hall by the time of the 2nd edition OS 1:2500 map (surveyed 1905). The front block was cottage-style with two stone porches, and the 1905 map suggests a second larger building, presumably the hall, enveloping the front block on its north and west sides. This rear structure has been demolished and the front block is now two cottages. An indoor firing range running north to south on the western edge of the property, along Church Lane, was still in military cadet use in 2008.

In 1914 the hall was base for "G" Company, 5th battalion Seaforth Highlanders.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 17 July 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions