Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, 27 Cowgate, King's Theatre

Theatre (20th Century)

Site Name Dundee, 27 Cowgate, King's Theatre

Classification Theatre (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 25 Cowgate; 21-29 Cowgate; Gaumont Theatre; County Bingo

Canmore ID 186489

Site Number NO43SW 427

NGR NO 40480 30585

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/186489

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Site Management (2 August 2000)

3 storey 4 bay former restaurant/ billiards room to the former King's Theatre and Hippodrome, a large red ashlar theatre, 3-storey front, E elevation stepped and treated in American manner. Encircling ground floor band course. The Continental Ballroom/King's Billiard Room (entered from No 21 Cowgate) has similar plasterwork to the main theatre block with a barrel-vaulted top-lit ceiling.

Built as the King's Theatre and Hippodrome, the auditorium was converted to a cinema in 1928. The name was changed to 'Gaumont' in1950 and again to 'Odeon' in 1973. Closed as a cinema in 1982, part of the building was subsequently run as a bingo hall and then partly as a nightclub. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

Site Management (1 April 2010)

End section of the former King's Theatre and Hippodrome. One of 2 bays in similar style; long blank area of walling to left, ground floor plain ashlar with suspended canopy for queues. Semi-domed open metal neon-light fitting. Cornice and parapet, raised block at centre. 3 bays at left stepped up as ground falls. Channelled ashlar below band course, banded ashlar above. 4 tiers of tripartites over, flanked by bipartites, 1st and 2nd floors linked by vertical recesses. Band course over 3rd floor 4th floor low shouldered windows. Mutule cornice. S elevation rubble-built, W elevation brick-built.

Built as the King's Theatre and Hippodrome, the auditorium was converted to a cinema in 1928. The name was changed to 'Gaumont' in1950 and again to 'Odeon' in 1973. Closed as a cinema in 1982, the building was subsequently run as a bingo hall and part of the complex started to operate as a nightclub from 2008. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions